Posted by: kirsten | 2009-06-01

GSD with arthritis

My male GSD (7 years old) has arthritis in his back legs. We have had him on rimadyl which didn' t make a difference. we then tried something else (can' t remember the name) to no affect. We are now trying Petcam (and some anti-ulcer drug), and he seems to be worse than ever. He is on Mobiflex (has been for a long time). The vet we are taking him too said that we just have to try and find the right medication for him. Alternatively there is an operation that they usually do on younger dogs when a muscle in the groin area is too tight. Apparently by cutting this muscle it relieves the tightness and helps. But he said it is usually done on young dogs. Do you know of this operation and if it would be beneficial to a 7 year old dog. He is struggling to stand up, drags his back legs and cries in the evenings (he is inside in this cold weather).

Alternatively, what else can I give him to help him?

Dear Kirsten

If he is dragging his hind legs there are something else wrong with him. I would go for a second opinion.

Posted by: Carole | 2009-06-05

My seven year old cross staffie/bull terrier has developed arthritis in the back left leg/hip and limps. She responds well to Rymidol but how long must I keep her on the pills. My vet only gave her 10.

Reply to Carole
Posted by: Chill | 2009-06-01

Ask your vet for a referral to a veterinary surgeon (specialist). If you' re in or near Cape Town, I can recommend one - Dr Gray at the Panorama vet clinic.

There are various surgical options, and as long as the dog is otherwise healthy, they should be able to do something for him.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: C | 2009-06-01

Reply to C