Question
Posted by: Dave | 2011-07-18

GSD bitch aggressive to puppy

Hi, I have a GSD bitch who is despite extensive training and socialisation extremely hostile towards other animals. My daughter recently got an 8 week old puppy and she acts very agressive toward it when I bring the puppy near her. She has also killed the neighbour''s small dog on a previous occation.

I do not understand why she is so hostile towards other animals. I have a male GSD who is the alpha and he is very accepting of other animals and he even scolds her (as I also do) when she acts aggressive towards other animals but she still wont listen.

I am thinking of putting her up for adoption to a someone who needs a single pet as she is despite her problems with other animals very good with people, especially children.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Dave, not sure if I am missing somthing. If your GSD not good with other dogs why take the risk of bringing in another dog?. If your GSD is good with the Alpha male, why not take the pup back to breeder - she is a member of your family and was there first.

When a dog is reactive to other dogs it is normally one of two reasons that have caused this:

a) no puppy socialization and possibly been taken home at 5 weeks of age (a commercial, not professional breeder)and

b) genetics.

Fear is the number one cause of reactive behaviour - the dog does just not know how to cope and reacts accordingly, gradually getting worse as it finds that the reactive behaviour is effective.

This is a situation that can be often be resolved with a combination of TTouch, behaviour modification and rehabilitation, but does not always guarantee that a new dog would successfully be brought into the home, and that your dog has already killed the small dog next door, not something I would even consider.

I have worked with many reactive dogs and been able to assist them to accept other dogs around them but not necessarily live with them.

As I said initially, if the GSD is fine with the male - give the pup back to breeder and rather consider getting somebody in that does TTouch, Beh Mod and Rehabilitation and work with the dog you already have as part of your family.

Thks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-07-19

b) genetics.

Thks Scotty

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert