Question
Posted by: dwe | 2011/02/01

GSD

we have a GSD who is 4 years old now. we took him to the vet on saturday because his one hind leg was sore. he can''t step on it. the vet said he had injurerd a mussel. what can I give him for it? to make him feel better.

In this case -assuming that it is in fact a muscle injury . It is important to decrease inflammation and to keep your dog pain free. I Would recommend you get an anti-inflammatory from your Vet - eg Rimadyl , Previcox for a short 5 -7 d course. It is also important to try and keep him as quiet as possible (often easier said than done !!)If he is no better the Vet make need to take X-rays to make sure it is not anything else. Please don't use human drug as this could damage your dog's stomach and/or Kidneys.

5
Posted by: dwe | 2011/02/04

We are currently just giving him eco heal of the eco vet range. He has started walking on his leg.. Since he is in the house all day he doesn''t move about alot...

Reply to dwe
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/03

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/02

The syrup is fine - he should, if he''s normal GSD weight, get not more than around 500mg at a time. If less helps him, then that''s even better.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: dwe | 2011/02/02

He hasn''t given him anything. I gave him panado pediatric surrup  but switched over to homeopathic medicine yesterday and he seems a little better this morning....

Reply to dwe
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/01

Did the vet not give you anything for the pain? If he did, then do not give him anything else without first checking with the vet (phone him), because you can''t mix certain medications.

If the vet gave him nothing, then you can give the dog 1 Panado tablet (500mg)- or other Paracetamol - in the morning, and one in the evening, for a few days - like maybe 3 days or so. Then see how it goes - if it isn''t quite a bit better, then talk to the vet again.

Make sure the tablet you give him is Paracetamol, because giving him one of the other kinds of painkillers is not a good idea (for example, aspirin or ibuprofen).

Don''t carry on giving the tablets for too long, and don''t give him more than two a day, or they could cause other, more serious, problems.

Reply to Chill