Question
Posted by: Samantha | 2012-12-02

GS chronic ear infection

I have two sister 20mth old female German Shepherds. Saskia and Kira.

Saskia is suffering from constant ear infections. Her first ear infection was in September and the vet gave her a 14day antibiotic with 10 days anti-inflammatories.

The infection re-occured again on 6 October and we then completed a 30 day anti-biotics and 10 days anti-inflammatories which after 2 weeks i bought more anti-inflams from the vet as she was still in lots of pain scratching and crying. This course was completed on 6 November and i watched closely. With the start of this course i started putting Mirra-Cote on her food. Although she wasn''t scratching and crying constantly i could see her ears still bothering her.

On 27 November things escalated again and i collected another 30 day anti-biotics with 10 days anti-inflams. I also started her on Hill Science Sensitive with her Mirra-Cote hoping a better food will make a difference. Today is day 5 on her anti-biotics and anti-inflams and she is scratching and crying terribly.

She is getting 1 x 500 RANCEPH capsule in the morning and 1 x 500 RANCEPH capsule and 150mg R (anti-inflam) at night. And her meals are divided into morning and evening feeds. She doesnt like swimming and doesnt get water in her ears from bathing etc. Kira, her sister has none of these issues.

I am thinking of getting a second opinion as my vet is just carrying on with the same treatment. Even on the meds or on completion thereof she doesn''t seem pain free. Please can I have some advise or perhaps a referral to a vet who can help. This is heart wrenching to see her like this and hear her crying.

On behalf of a suffering dog, Saskia, thank you for taking the time to read her story.

Much appreciation,
Samantha

There are a number of reasons for a chronic ear infection - parasites, something within the ear (grass/debri), resistant bacterial infection, yeast or fungal infection, anatomical defect within the ear canal. With the breed and age an underlying allergy (food/pollens) is also a very important consideration.

Further assessment would be an ear swab for cytology and culture, x-rays of the ear canal, and skin biopsies (looking for possible underlying allergies).

In these cases a specific diagnosis needs to be made and treated otherwise the dog can end up with chronic end-stage ear disease that requires surgical removal of the ear canal.

3
Posted by: Samantha | 2013-01-18

Feedback: Found a great vet who has done a battery of tests and the result are finally in: resistant bacterial infection. I will go and see him and get more information on how to address going forward.

Reply to Samantha
Posted by: Em | 2013-01-16

Some German Sheperds are prone to this kind of thing, so it could be a long term problem. The vet should give you some special drops for the ears - it has to be kept in the fridge at all times. As far as I can remember it''s an olive oil based drop. If it is parasites like a mite (doubt it''s mites), I would shave the inside and outside of the ear just to see if it makes a difference... this is not a long term treatment or a solution, it''s a once off thing. It will also give the ear canals chance to dry out if there''s fungus present. The vet or grooming parlour will be able to do this for you. Use sunblock on the outside of the ears until the hair grows back and put a big ball of cotton wool in the ears during bath time just to ensure nothing gets in the ear.

Reply to Em
Posted by: Magrie | 2012-12-06

I have the same issue with my GS.
Did the vet take a scraping? The problem I have with Duke''s ears are due to fungus. He was treated with eardrops and a antigungal only as he has a sensitive digestive track. I was told to clean his ears at least once a week. Hoping this will make a difference

I think you should get a second opinion.

best of luck1

Reply to Magrie