Question
Posted by: Woof | 2008/09/09

Growth under skin

My maltese has a slightly raised bump under her skin. It is located on her back, about 2 thirds down her spine and on the right hand side only. It does not seem to be tender to touch. She does not appear to be in any pain, still runs around like a mad thing (normal behaviour for her), explores, plays and eats according to her normal patterns. She is just under 12 years now. She never had babies and was sterilised after the first time she was in heat. What can this bump be?

Dear Woof

It can be a fatty lump or cancer. Best to have it looked at.

3
Posted by: Woof | 2008/09/13

Thanx guys!
I' ll rather have it checked out - doggy' s health is most important.
Have a great wknd.

Reply to Woof
Posted by: Chill | 2008/09/10

Wrong, I' m afraid, Marianne. If this thing is a sebacious cyst, then by all means, leave it alone for years if you want. But if it' s malignant, you' d be signing the dog' s death-warrant.

The fact is that MOST lumps and bumps are harmless. The problem is, if they aren' t, they can be deadly. Finding out which it is is essential - go to a vet, and get it diagnosed.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: marianne | 2008/09/10

Morning..................if this is anything to go on. I have a maltese who is abot 6 years old now, and about 2 months ago I found a lump on her back, in what sounds like the same place as your dog' s. I rushed her off to the vet on a Sunday, because I was convinced it was something serious.........R500 later it was a sabaceous cyst that he stuck a needle in......and it is still there.
What I am saying is that I would just watch it........if you can touch it without a reaction, or if it doesn' t seem to worry her, and it doesn' t change much in appearance, I wouldn' t panic to much. Malteses seem to be prone to these kind of things......mine has had 3 of them.

Reply to marianne