Question
Posted by: Viresh | 2009-04-14

Growth removed from shoulder scapular. Back is hunched.

Hi Experts

In 1997, 12 years ago, I had an operation done on my left shoulder blade/scapular. I was 14 years at the time of the operation and I am now 26 years old. The reason for the operation was due to a calcium deposit growth on the left shoulder blade which needed to be removed.

My concern is a hunch that i have. This hunch has been around before and after the operation. I have tried using a brace after the operation, but it did not work. There is also a constant pain in the middle of my back which has been around ever since I can remember. This pain does not bother me much as I have now become used to it. There is also a black oval shape mark of approx. 20cm in length and 15cm in height on my back at the exact location where the pain is.

I do note that I should have taken care of this problem earlier in my life, however I was not in a good financial position. Please advise on all the possible ways forward in order to correct the hunch and eliminate the pain. Should I contact a specialist?, What type of specialist do I contact?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Viresh
The best specialist for this would be an orthopedic surgeon. They need to do x/rays to see whether the problem is located in the spine, and whether it is correctable with therapy or operation.