Posted by: Themba | 2009-03-23

Dear Docs
I am a studdent, just a short question. Is it possible for the brain to control growth. as isn'  t the release of growth hormones controled by the brain? and isf so how does this come about, and is it possibl eto control it manually. Or does regular excercise and a healthy diet play a role in making one grow.
When I say grow I mean growing in height.

Hallo Themba
Growth is a complex process with growth hormone, sex hormones, nutrition, underlying diseases, sleep, genetics -all playing a role. Most young people grow until the age of 15-16 when the bones' ends calcifies and growth stops. Hormones have no effect on growth after this.

Posted by: erna | 2009-04-06

what is the effect when you stop growth in children? do the grow then in stead of in length in width.
My daugtter is 6 and is 1.27m in height wears a number 2 shoe and weighs 27 kg. What will her heigt be when she is 15/16 when she stops growing
I am 1.74m and het dad 6foot 3inch

Reply to erna