Posted by: Skapie | 2009-03-10

Gross Montly Salary Calculation

I was working on an hourly basis for my company and then decided that I would like to get a fixed monthly salary. I was then given a monthly package of 160 hours worth. Am I correct in saying that it should have actually been a monthly package of 173.2 hours (because I work 40 hours a week and you monthly remuneration is calculated as 4 and 1/3 of your weekly remuneration).
Is there any recourse or is it my own fault that I didn' t see it when I signed the contract.

Also, I haven' t been paid on public holidays for the past 5 years. What steps can I take?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

It appears that your calculation is correct, you must be paid double for public holidays. I would suggest that you get hold of the inspectorate of the department of Labour.