Question
Posted by: Jo | 2010-09-21

Grooming of a long haired cat and when is a cat fully growned

I hope that you are well.

I adopted a longhaired male kitten last year December from a animal welfare organisation, his estimated ages was 12 weeks and he was already neutered ( not my choice to have done it so young, it is one of their policies to do it as early as possible).

He is such a tiny cat, he really still looks like a little kitten. Could it be that the neutering at such a young age affected his growth, or could he just be a late bloomer ( he weighs just over 1.2 kg)

Also we never really inteded to get a long haired cat, he just won our hearts over. We have a strict grooming ritual (which he absolutely hates) but i thinking of having him shaved in summer? Is that cruel? He is a outdoor cat, absolutely loves my dogs and are constantly playing with them and getting his fur tangeld up in something or another. He is pitch black as well, so i thought that shaving him might help with the heat in the summer and it will also minimise the grooming that he absolutely hates.

Pls can you give me your opion on the above. Please note that i dont mind the grooming, he is the one that absolutely hates it.

thanks so much

Jo

Hi Jo

There are insufficient scientific studies available to acertain if early neutering has a significant effect on growthand development.In one of the study's I reviewed there was no significant difference. Please deworm him on a regular basis - every 3 months and feed him a good quality diet. Keep an eye on his weight and weigh every 1-2 months.

It is not cruel to have the cat shaved. You will have to get him sedated as the clippers may make him nervous and unmanagable.

1
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010-09-22

Hi Jo

Reply to CyberVet