Question
Posted by: Jean | 2011/04/08

Grooming my Husky

Our husky that we have had since a puppy hates being groomed and when I try and brush her (I have about 6 different types of brushes and combs especially for this) you would think she is being slaughtered as she howls and carries on.
I know that she is not being hurt as you dont even have to touch her and she starts. When she was younger I took her to the grooming parlour and they in actual fact phoned me to come and fetch her as they could not do anything with her. Because they blow their coats twice a year it is important to get all the loose hair off for her sake as well as ours as she us free to come and go inside or outside the house and loves to sleep on my sons bed. She is a wonderful dog but in general does not like being cuddled. She is 6 years old now and is still very playful. We have another husky as well that we adopted about 1 year ago (same age as our one) and she again loves being groomed and will stand or lie on her back loving it.
Would appreciate it if you could perhaps give me some tips as to how to approach this.

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Jean, what you can do is slowly desensitize the dog to the brush. Firstly, start the new regime in a place you dont normally brush her, a change of location often works wonders. Instead of using any of the brushes you currently have, start off with one of the glove types that ytou can get at pet shops. Have a bunch of really nice treats in your pocket. Sit quietly with her (calm yourself first), touch her gently with the glove brush and treat, touch again and treat and so on. You will do this in stages, gradually brushing a bit more every time and always offering nice treats. The association is now that brushing brings nice treats and changes her perception. It is important that she only get the treats when being brushed, otherwise stop them. this is the long way around tho'! If you have somebody that does TTouch come in, she will probably be sorted out by the end of the session! The person working on the dog may well bring in the above desensitizing as well as the TTouch. Have a look at their website and find somebody near you - it really does make a huge difference. Good luck, thanks Scotty

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/04/08

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert