Question
Posted by: Heidi | 2011-02-07

grommits

without visiting a doctor...what indications are there that a grommit has fallen out??
A sore ear etc???

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Heidi

If it has fallen out, and you experience the same pain as before, it is possible that the grommet has fallen out. Grommets are not permanent, and will fall out. If the original problem still persists, your symptoms will come back.
Some patients, especially children, may reqiuire more than one set of grommets, but your treating doctor should advise you. If you are unsure, it is possible to just look in the ear to see if they have come out. Your GP should be able to see this.

1
Posted by: claudia | 2011-03-15

Hi Heidi,
I must encourage you to seek the help of an ENT in this case and not a GP. Although a GP is qualified to look inside an ear he is not able to diagnose or identify an issue to the extent an ENT can In addition the equipment an ENT uses is advanced an specific. I am a GP myself and once my patients have grommets inserted they are handed over to the ENT for any further follow ups. It would be foolish and selfish of a GP not to advise you to do this as he/she has limited knowledge and resources in this specialised field and can often cause more problems down the line than solutions. All the best.

Reply to claudia