Question
Posted by: Thabi | 2007-10-17

Q.

Grommets and flying

I plan to fly with my 5 year old in december, her grommets that were inserted in August 2006 are still in her ears last check was last week friday. Am really getting worried about the lenghth they took to fall out. My question is it safe to fly with grommets in your ears, what measures should take to make it more comfortable for child's first flying experience?

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageHearing Care

Dear Thabi

The average period that it takes for grommets to fall out is about 6 months but it is very possible for this period to be shorter or significantly longer. The best would be to take her for a middle ear test to an audiologist, just to make sure if the grommets are still open. If it is open, pressure won't be able to build up in the ear, to a point of discomfort for your daughter. You could also make sure that during the flight (take-off and landing) she chews something like jelly babies that can control the pressure in the middle ear.

If you don't know of an audiologist in your area, please let me know and i will gladly refer you (izabelle@widex.co.za)

Kind regards
Izabelle Pieterse

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: aa | 2007-11-03

RNID advise there should be no problems, as the pressure change on take off / landing can equalise without any pain

Reply to aa

Want to comment?