Question
Posted by: Nav | 2011/12/02

Groin Injury

About a month ago I injured myself during my workout. It seems that i have torn my inner groin muscle, the one between my groin and inner thigh. I think its a tear because its been about a month now and i still cannot exercise properly. Admittedly i rested for a few days after the injury but attempted to exercise again and hurt it again. What actions can i take for this injury.

I don''t notice it until i exercise or have to lift my leg up higher than normal. but it is definitely affecting my exercise routine as i cant run, bike or skip.

Should i see a doctor or is rest all i need to heal.
Thanks alot

Hi Nav

It does sound like a tear, and a groin strain is a really stubborn injury. It just requires rest, maybe a week or two, depending on the severity of the tear, and then a lot of patience as you build your way back to normal. You have to start at 50% of what you would normally do, and then build slowly, maybe three to four weeks to get back to normal. So it's a big time chunk to take out. Cycling should be the first thing you can do normally, because it doesn't load the muscle the same way. Skipping, running and anything that involves changes of direction is a longer term thing.

If it hasn't responded about 4 to 6 weeks later, then it's time to see a doctor.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/01/06

Hi Nav

Reply to fitnessdoc