Posted by: Mitch | 2009-07-12

I asked about a groin injury a while ago where I said I play soccer and it feels like i have pulled my groin it just gets sore every time i stretch it, sprint and kick with that leg. I have started to rest it now but it has spread the pain up towards my hip now from the last time i played. Do think this is just a strain or tear?

Hi MItch

Sorry to hear it seems to be spreading. You need to rest the groin really well though, otherwise this can happen. All the muscles start to compensate and transfer their load and that can cause problems for you if you don't recover. I know many people who have experienced the same thing as you. Rest is vital, you have to really avoid sprinting or kicking, because then your hip flexors (I assume this is where the pain is) start to develop problems as well.

So I'm not 100% sure how the time line works, whether you did try to play through the injury or not. My advice would be to rest now, possibly see a physio, but don't keep stretching if it is causing pain. I suspect it's only a strain, because you'd know about a tear, they're very debilitating. But give it a week or two of rest, and then start slowly again. Seeing a physio might be a good idea, at least to supervise the progress.