Question
Posted by: KEL | 2012/09/27

GRINDING OF TEETH

Hi there,

My daughter is 5 and a half and she sometimes grinds her teeth while she sleeps.

Should I be worried that there is an underlying issue that is stressing her, or should I leave it for a few months and see if it eases off?

She is slightly compulsive by nature, could this be a reason?

Thank you.

Yes, this condition rejioces in the name of Bruxism ( and you can look that up on the web ) Its often not particularly related to underlying stress, but if it lasts for more than months, it can cause tooth wear and tear or other damage, and some dentists have a special interest in this, and can provide a form of shield she could wear while sleeping.
You can also chat calmly about life in general and how she is experiencing it, and explore for possible areas of stress

3

Posted by: Mistry | 2012/09/28

Kel,

I had the same situation with my daughter, never really took her to the dentist to enquire, but she is 7 now and its no longer happening, she has a smaller jawline and her two front teeth are quite big, which made the others next to them misaligned and i thought that could have been the problem, but if it still bugs you do take her to the dentist to have it checked

Reply to Mistry
Posted by: Maria | 2012/09/27

This is called bruxism, and can have physical causes (e.g. misaligned teeth) and psychological causes. I suggest that you first take her to the dentist to have her teeth checked.

Reply to Maria