Posted by: Sue | 2011-07-18

Grey hands

Hi Doc,

My 11 year old daughter has recently started getting " Grey hands" . Her hands are always cold, and they go slightly blue, but are actually grey across the knuckles. IShe''s never had this before. It started this winter, and I dont know if its a circulation issue or " normal"  during the cold weather we have in gauteng. The fact is she''s not had it before now, and it worries me.
Can you tell me what might cause this? An if its a serious condition?

many thanks

I do suggest that you consult a doctor for an examination, as the discolouration is due to poor blood flow or circulation to the hands. In the interim, she can wear gloves to keep her hands warm and to improve the blood circulation.