Question
Posted by: Louise | 2010/11/24

Green Grapes &  Pregnant

Hi Doc,

I am 22 weeks pregnant and I am addicted to green woolworths seedless grapes. I eat 500g a day. Is this too much? Is this healthy?

Louise

Dear Louise
Congratulations on your pregnancy. Although green grapes are healthy and contain plenty of phytonutrients, eating 500g a day is rather much fruit. On average grapes contain about 300 kJ per 100 g, so bt eating 500g per day you are ingesting an extra 1500 kJ daily. 1500 kJ represents 17.8% of your daily energy requirement as an adult woman, which is high for a single food item. You don't mention is you are also eating other foods (i.e. a normal food intake). If you are eating your usual diet and add another 1500 kJ a day to your energy intake this could well cause weight gain. Try to eat a balanced diet which contains a medium-sized bunch of grapes a day, instead of 500g.

1

Dear Louise