Question
Posted by: Linda | 2012/05/15

Greek Yogurt

I want to know if the double cream greek yogurt is also healthy or what the difference is between the normal greek and the double cream greek yorgurt, because I find the double cream very delicious. Is it good fat or not? thanks alot.

Dear Linda
I must admit that I too am totally enchanted with double cream Greek yoghurt, esp served with honey, as is the tradition in Greece - Sigh! However, although both double cream and low-fat plain yoghurts have more or less the same nutrient composition esp calcium content, the high fat product contains nearly 10 x more fat (mainly saturated) and 2 x the kJ compared to the low-fat product. So I only have double cream Greek yoghurt as a special treat once in a while. For everyday use I rely on low-fat plain yoghurt.
Enjoy

2
Posted by: Danie van der Merwe | 2013/05/05

Interesting to note from http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/02/dutch-recognize-saturated-fat-not-a-problem.aspx that saturated fat is not a problem at all for weight loss (I've lost 12kg after upping my fat intake). This Yoghurt is especially good as it has a hight fat content (energy) and is non-sweetened (the real bonus).

Reply to Danie van der Merwe

Dear Linda
Enjoy