Posted by: Jan | 2009-05-17

great tone bone spurs

Can you tell me about the treatment of bone spurs on the tip of the great toe and under the nails? Also, how long is recovery and how long will I be unable to drive if I have this treatment?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Jan

Bone spurs under the nails (subungual exostosis) need to be surgically removed by an orthopaedic surgeon. I'm not sure about recovery time, maybe a week before you can drive, I'm not sure.

Posted by: Jan | 2009-08-17

Can this surgery be done successfully by a podiatrist? I' m wondering how I tell my podiatrist I' d prefer to have this or any other foot surgery done by an orthopedic surgeon. Also, do al OS do this surgery, or do they need to have a specialty in feet?
Finally, is surgery for hallux rigidus best done by a podiatrist or an orthopedic surgeon?
Thank you.

Reply to Jan
Posted by: Jan | 2009-07-01

Can you tell me how successful surgery to remove or " file"  down a bone spur/sharp bone would be? What are the chances that scar tissue would form and be as or more painful as the original bone? Currently, the " spur"  or bone causes a great deal of pain feeling as though a large sharp stone is in the shoe and causes hard skin like a callous to form. Presently, the podiatrist has been shaving the skin and treating it with acetone. But now he tells me that there is little fat left and he can keep taking skin off. He says I have two choices an expensive orthotic which can only be used in sport shoes with a deep toe box or surgery. I would go the orthotic route, but I wear dresses and suits often and sport shoes are not exactly the right look. Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Reply to Jan