Posted by: Jan | 2008-12-02

Great toe bone spur

I was diagnosed with a bone spur at the tip of my great toe. The podiatrist removed a portion of my nail to see whether that will alleviate the pain, but suggested that if the pain continued surgery to " shave down"  the spur may be an option. Can you tell me the procedure for this type of surgery...He said that it would require cutting the toe and using a rasp to smoothe the spur...also he mentioned that recovery would be speedier if I could remain off of the foot for a time, so if surgery is done we will wait until after the coming holidays. I would appreciate more information or a place where I could read more about the procedure. I really want to know what I' m getting into, if I agree to the surgery.

Thank you.

Hallo Jan
Ask him to draw you a picture of exactly what he is going to do - this is not a routine operation that I can explain to you, it is very individual.