Question
Posted by: Anna-Marie | 2012/01/18

Great Dane

Hi, my 13 month old great dane was diagnosed with tickbite fever on Monday by our Vet she''s on treatment and doing great. Yesterday when she went for a check up the vet said that she is growing to fast then what great dane''s normally does she said that when they reach 24 months and are fully grown it''s possible that they can develope some sort of bone weakness and it''s not curable and we will then have to put her down. I was shocked I thought that because they are so huge she is doing okay. According to the vet I''m over feeding her (she''s on a feeder) I don''t give her anything else beside''s dog food and dog treats we stay on a plot so she has more than enough space to play she is indeed very active. What I want to know is this really true that I should be giving her only 750 grams of dry dog food a day preferably the food that the vet is selling. What us the correct amount of food and what types of food or what should I be looking for on the packaging when buying her foor at the moment she eat''s Montego Classic and at night I give her a " warm meal"  of Alpo 2in1 only a cup full.

Hi Anne-Marie

I am glad that you puppy is on the road to recovery.

Your vet was correct on informing you about the orthopedic problems that Great Danes may encounter. Genetics, nutrition and the environment can influence the development of orthopedic issues. With the guidance of your vet you can try and help reduce the development of these problems.

Excessive energy intake may result in a greater than normal growth rate. Excessive growth rates can predispose to the development of hip dysplasia, hypertrophic dystrophy and panosteitis. It is imperative that you feed a well-balanced large breed diet and feed according to the manufacturers guidelines.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

10
Posted by: Anna-Marie | 2012/02/01

Thanks GD mom for your input, I have ordered the food just waiting for the delivery. I sure will enjoy my " little girl"  love her to bits.

Reply to Anna-Marie
Posted by: GD Mom | 2012/01/30

My great dane has been on Eukanuba since she was a puppy - she is now 4 years old and her vet always comments on what excellent condition she is in! It is always best to buy the best food you can afford. With the giant breeds, the growth and development phase (first 2 years) it is crucial to get the nutrition right. Enjoy your " little girl" .

Reply to GD Mom
Posted by: Anna-Marie | 2012/01/26

Thank you so much, I will give her a call.

Reply to Anna-Marie
Posted by: Dane owner | 2012/01/26

Hi Anna-Marie

I am in Port Elizabeth, but a lot of vet shops and vets sell it. Here is Eukanuba''s customer care department details.... Sunelle was soooo helpful. She will be able to help you.

Sunelle de Pierres
Customer Care Department
Cube Route (PTY) Ltd
011 463 7813 (Direct)
0800 00 4267 (Toll Free Number)
Sunelle de Pierres [Sunelle@cuberoute.co.za]

Reply to Dane owner
Posted by: Anna-Marie | 2012/01/25

Thanks guys for the reply. I have now changed to Pedigree but she is constantly hungry. I feel so sorry for her! I also saw with the Montego that her stools was loose with the Pedigree it''s much more furmer. We spoke to another vet also and he also said Montego is not the best food when it come''s to Great Dane''s. Where are you from where did you buy the food I have never seen that brand anywhere and would like to try. Is there perhaps a number on the package that I can phone to found a dealer or a place where I can buy this food. I am in the Randfontein/Carltonville area.

Reply to Anna-Marie
Posted by: CyberVet | 2012/01/25

Hi Anne-Marie

Kind regards

Angus Campbell

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Dane owner | 2012/01/23

Hi Anne Marie

38 kgs for a 13 month old pup does not sound as if she is growing up too quickly. As I mentioned to you my 2 girls were also on Montego until last week, as I was experiencing a problem with loose stools. After lots of research via many Vets and a breeder who shows GD''s, I changed their diet to Eukanuba Large Puppy food which can be fed to them until 24 months. It is more expensive, but you feed them less as it contains the correct amount of nutrients &  calcum that a giant puppy breed requires. At 38kgs your girl would be fed 480g per day (240g per feed) and that means a bag would last you 30 days. I started introducing it to my girls on Friday evening. This morning is the first morning that they are now totally off Montego, and I cannot believe the difference - they now have firm stools. Definitely makes garden clean-up time less yucky :) they also poop less.... I also worried that they would be hungry, so I mix a little cooked rice and cooked chicken with the pellets. Probably not necessay, but makes me feel better (lol). Hope this helps until Cybervet can help you.

Reply to Dane owner
Posted by: Anna-Marie | 2012/01/19

Hi there,

She is 13 months old and weights 38 kg. At the moment I''m not worrying that she might have this bone diseas what I''m worried about is to prevent it if the vet says that they CAN get it if not given the correct food I want to know IF I''m giving her the correct food what should I be looking for when buying food in future and what about the amount of food. Now that we took away the feeder and only give her the 2 portions a day the vet recommended she doesn''t sleep so well anymore and last night she was the whole time in the kitchen looking on the cupboards if there might be someting left. The vet also said mine is in excellent condition her skin and body it''s just that she is growing to fast and thats when this bone story can appear. It''s the first time that I''m dealing with Great Dane''s never had one before I got her when she was 7 weeks old I''ve done a bit of reading up on them about their behaviour and stuff like that. That''s why I''m asking questions about this bone story.

Reply to Anna-Marie
Posted by: Dane owner | 2012/01/19

I would be inclined to get a second opinion before worrying yourself silly about whether or not your dog has this bone disease, your Dane sounds very healthy to me. My 2 Danes are also on Montego and my vet told me lastg weekend 8Kthey were in lovely condition. What does your dog weigh? My 2 are 5 months old and weigh 28 and 29 kilos.

Reply to Dane owner
Posted by: Dane owner | 2012/01/19

Reply to Dane owner