Question
Posted by: Anne | 2011/03/20

Graves Disease

HI Dietdoc, my 11 year old has been diagnosed with Graves Disease. What does she need to eat and what should we leave out of her diet?

Dear Anne
I am sorry to hear that your 11-year-old daughter has developed Graves Disease. I trust that the doctor who diagnosed her condition will be prescribing one of the recognised treatments such as antithyroid medication, surgery or radioactive iodine. Because Graves Disease is an autoimmune condition where antibodies make the thyroid overactive, thus increasing the rate of metabolism, it important that patients eat a diet that contains sufficient energy to meet their needs. There are no other dietary factors that can influence this disease. When the hyperthyroidism has been treated, your daughter should be able to return to eating a diet with a normal energy intake.

1

Dear Anne