Posted by: Anne | 2011-03-20

Graves Disease

Dr Bets, my 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Graves Disease. I noticed that she constantly wanted to eat and she was loosing weight. I then saw that she had a lump on her neck, took her to the doctor. She was sent for bloods, a scan of her neck en that same day admitted to hospital. Her heartbeat was abnormally high and her bloodtests was higher than an adults. She was hooked onto a cardiac monitor in hospital. What i find very frustrating is that no one has answers for me. She had a total of 7 doctors checking her out, until a peadiatric endocrynologist and a professor in endocrynology finally confirmed Graves disease. It feels like a death sentence. She is on 40mg Carbimazole a day - which is very high and the side effects makes me really scared. The drs have given me a letter that i have to carry around with me, should she start feeling ill - i need to take her to the nearest dr of hospital for bloodtests. She only started the meds on Thursday and it seems to me that the lump in her throat is getting bigger. She is also complaining that it is painful. She has also started complaining of having difficulty with swallowing meat etc. WE will be seeing the doctors for weekly bloods and check ups. What can i do more as a mother to help her. I feel so helpless, because she is so skinny and has this lump on her throat. Is there certain foods that she needs to avoid. She is constantly craving milo - i do not even know if this is healty or not. Any suggestion would be great. Anne

It is very important to understand the process of Grave's Disease. Please study the following link, as it will give you more insight on this disease.

You will note from this link that it is a complex disease. If there is any questions, please post another question and I will do my best to clarify it.

I do not see any problem with Milo, so you can give it to her when she feels like it.

Good luck.