Question
Posted by: Emily | 2010-03-09

Grasshopper attack

My CV looks like a grasshopper attack - I''m bouncing all over.
I am bipolar, however I am capable of holdng down a job, EXCEPT that I get very bored very quickly and then my absenteeism rises and I lose interest.
I come across as so successful but then... I''m not consistent with it! I''m not CONSISTENT with anything!
And now I''m unemployed. I want to take resonsibility for my own life and be gainfully employed and I know I''ll get a job (if they don''t mind " over-versatility" ) but then: how do I maintain good performance?

And plse don''t tell me to see my shrink: I owe him R4000 already and have no means to pay him so that''snot an option at the moment. With charges like that he''s not likely to be an option in future either...

any suggestions...?

Hmmm. Doesn't part of the problem lie in the false assumption that no job should ever get boring ? EVERY job has stretches of boredom. The issue is whether it ALSO has good bits, or the prospects of good bits ahead.
Bipolar / Schmipolar - you know how you are sabotaging these jobs ( and thus sabotaging your chances of getting a more satisfying and interesting job ) - the absenteeism isn't enforced by a bunch of guys with guns - it's you who does it, and you who can stop doing it.
Don't be someone who decides that moeny itself has no value, because she happens to have made some bad investments - learn to invest ( your time, efort, etc ) more wisely and successfully. And it is an investment - one has to get more deeply involved in any job before one can usually discover its satisying bits.
Depending on what your shrink was doing, it might not help anyway. Medication wouldn't help solve the problems you have been creating for yourself. And counselling other than strict CBT would be pretty useless, too. And if CBT was done properly, it would probably not need to last long enough to cost R 4000
I wonder whether therapy wasn't just another activity in which you didn't invest enough effort, and dropped outm of before it could get anywhere ?
Next job, take it seriously and run a contest with yourself to see how long you can last in it. And meanwhile while looking for that next job, why not try working as a volunteer with some NGO or charity, where the work obviously matters a lot, and people ( or animals ) suffer if you can't be bothered to take it seriously - maybe a good chance to remind yourself that some folks have it even harder than you, to help others, and to have something more positive to add to your CV

1