Posted by: P | 2011-06-01

I just learned that dandelions are edible and very healthy. What about grass? Are there lots of plants out there that we don''t know are safe to eat? I was just thinking that vegetables are a bit expensive and it''s good that we can grow our own salad, but wouldn''t be wise to make a better use of other plants we have like grass and weeds as well? I know nettle makes good tea too.

If animals can eat certain greens, are they generally safe for humans too?

Animals have specialised gastro-intestinal tract and are therefore, well equipped to break down the complex cellulose structure, especially grass. It is more than possible that there are plenty of plants that can be eaten but I will rather stick to what is known to be edible and safe.