Question
Posted by: Question | 2012-05-31

Grapefuit

Good day,

I''''ve heard that eating grapefruit can reduce the efficacy of oral contraception. I am on Yasmin - is this true?

Kind regards

Expert ImagePharmacist

When eating grapefruit, the levels of an enzyme in your body which is required to metabolise certain medications in your body (including birth-control pills), goes doew. This means that grapefruit can affect the level to which your body metabolizes the active ingredients in birth-control pills. Although the effect of your pill's pill efficacy will probably not be significantly affected, it might increase your risks of side effects, such as nausea and vomiting.