Question
Posted by: Question | 2012/05/31

Grapefuit

Good day,

I''ve heard that eating grapefruit can reduce the efficacy of oral contraception. I am on Yasmin - is this true?

Kind regards

Dear Grapefruit
Grapefruit does interfere with a number of medications such as certain blood pressure pills, etc, but I have not personally heard that it interferes with the efficacy of oral contraceptives such as Yasmin. However, it is important to check with your pharmacist and the prescribing doctor so that you do not counteract the effect of the pill. In the meanwhile avoid grapefruit juice till you have obtain their answers to this problem.