Question
Posted by: EJ | 2012/02/28

Grapefruit Diet

My apologies if this has been asked before. I''m trying the Grapefruit Diet which looks good, EXCEPT for the 2 eggs every morning for breakfast. I believe it''s the combination of foods that allows us to lose weight, but for high cholesterol I would like to avoid the 2 eggs (which I love). What can I have instead? fat free cottage cheese for instance? would that still work?

Someone else posted the plan elsewhere, so I will copy &  paste below.

I will be doing exercise for 5 x a week, which incorporates cardio, weights and is well rounded. I plan to do this eating plan for 12 days, then 2 days off, then continue. I want to lose about 18kg. My vice is chocolate and I''m quitting that until I get to goal weight.

What do you think of this plan?
Breakfast: two eggs fixed however you like, two pieces of bacon and grapefruit or grapefruit juice  Lunch: salad with any dressing and any meat any amount and grapefruit or grapefruit juice  Dinner: any meat any amount fixed however you like, any green or red vegetable any amount OR salad and grapefruit or grapefruit juice. You follow this rigidly and you WILL lose weight. You stay on the diet for 12 days then eat whatever you please for 2 days, and repeat however many times necessary until you reach your goal weight. The no-no foods to stay away from are of course anything high in carbohydrates or sugar, but here''s a list of some real no-no''s: white onions  potatoes, celery, rice, cauliflower, pinto beans, blakey-eyed peas, wax beans, red beans, corn, cereal, pasta and mushrooms. The idea is to eliminate sugars and starches, which are lipids and form fat. Fat does not form fat  it helps you burn it so you can fry foods in butter and use butter generously on vegetables. Also, don''t eat between meals. If you eat the combination of foods suggested you will not get hungry. Do not omit the grapefruit, it is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the fat burning process. Don''t eat desserts, breads or any type of potato. You may double or triple helpings of meat, salad or vegetables. Eat until you are stuffed. The more you eat of the proper combination of foods, the more you will lose! At bedtime you may drink low fat milk or tomato juice.

Dear EJ
The Grapefruit Diet and other variations of the Atkins diet (low or zero carbs, plus high protein and high fat diet), have been around for over 40 years. I am personally not in favour of any diet that is unbalanced and cuts out whole food groups such as all carbs. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and do a Search with 'Atkins Diet' to read the articles on this subject which outline the potential problems associated with a high intake of fat, saturated fat and cholesterol. You will probably lose plenty of weight on this diet, but you may regain the weight once you stop eating only proteins and fats. Most people find that they cannot sustain the high-protein, high-fat intake for long periods of time. You can certainly try using fat-free cottage cheese instead of the 2 eggs suggested for breakfast. Do keep in mind that eggs are not the only high-cholesterol foods in this diet and that all meat, bacon, etc, has high cholesterol and saturated fat contents.
Take care

2
Posted by: EJ | 2012/02/29

Thank you DietDoc for your response and the advice given.

I will research the Diet &  Nutrition pages as recommended. It''s just that for a year+ I''ve been trying the " healthy balanced eating"  method which only works for a while and I can''t achieve my goals, so I thought I''d try a kick-start approach like this (Grapefruit Diet). I also find if I have a specific diet to follow, I''m better at keeping to it, and this one is very simple and interchangeable.

Once I get to goal weight, I will maintain with a healthy balanced eating plan and limit my vice of : chocolate (we all have one) :) Junk food will be an exception, including cooldrinks. I do have lots of water and green tea already, but it can''t be effective if we don''t keep everything in moderation.

Exercise is covered as I workout hard 5 days a week with a group (Adventure Bootcamp for Women). My problem has been the eating - I just want to get to goal weight, and once there, will maintain with healthy eating and the exercise.

Thanks again for your time and help!

EJ

Reply to EJ

Dear EJ
Take care