Question
Posted by: Concerned Wonderer | 2011-03-17

Grandma giving baby breast

I hope you can help and give some advice, I have not been able to find anything online. I know of a grandmother who babysits her grandchild during the day while the mommy is at work, she lets the baby suck on her breasts as a comfort for when she is upset etc, is this okay? to me it doesnt seem okay... are there any dangers or implications of suckling a child when you have no milk? please advise.

Dear Concerned Wonderer
No there are no dangers to the child - she is basically using herself as a "dummy" for the child. I would not advise it though if the mother is not willing to do the same over weekends and in the evenings when the child is upset as it will confuse the child - then giving a plastic dummy all the time will be better.

3
Posted by: Concerned Wonderer | 2011-03-20

Thanks doc! But what about for the grandma? Will it not cause blood clots or anything in her breasts? The baby gets milk from her mom in the evenings and weekends.

Reply to Concerned Wonderer
Posted by: Chere | 2011-03-17

Seems a bit bizarre but I don''t think there is a risk of any health issues.

Reply to Chere
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011-03-17

Dear Concerned Wonderer