Posted by: Sandy | 2009-04-21

Gran - Dementia

My gran is 89 years old and her behaviour has become very erratic. She has been asked to leave 2 different retirement homes because of her behaviour, she becomes very aggresive and angry if people suggest that she get help. I have taken het to our GP as well as a Neurologist and still feel that she is not getting the help she needs, what should I do??

I;m surprised a neurologist could not be more helpful ; a psychiarist might well be able to help, and, ideally, a geriatrician. It can be controversial to use certain medications also used for schizophrenia, suich as Risperdal, as they MAY in some cases , slghtly increase the risk of heart attack or stroke --- but the results can be remarkable, in the person eturning close to normal, being much less aggresive and more happy and clear-thinking, and the medicine is available in liquid form, so it is easy to give in coffee ( Never tea ) or fruit juice, with rapid benefits. Personalliy, and from personal experience, I consider the benefits well worth the risks, but others would disagree.