Question
Posted by: Ziyanda | 2011/01/19

Grade 4 Reflux oesophagatis

Dear doc,I have been recently diagnised withthe above ...I have started exercising nd have lost 4 kg in 2 months but I just need you to guide me on what foods to take or avoid .

Dear Ziyanda
I am sorry to hear that you suffer from Grade 4 Reflux Oesophagitis (RO). It is excellent that you have lost those 4 kg in the space of 2 months, because it is important not to be overweight when you have this condition. I trust that the doctor who diagnosed your RO is treating you with so-called proton pump inhibitors (Zantac, or Losec, etc). If not, you need to return to the dr and ask him/her to prescribe the necessary medication. Heartburn, acid reflux and also stomach ulcers, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this give the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from OR because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in her stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should try to split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. If you suffer from RO, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you to pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and OR is stress. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques and how to do deep breathing exercises.

1

Dear Ziyanda