Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/20

Gr 1 not wanting to go to school

hi there
since yesterday , my son has been teary eyed and begging me not to make him go to school. He is in gr 1 and it started out great! this term he got a new teacher and her ways of dealing with him seems to be very harsh compared to how his other teacher did. He is naturally a very sensitive child. very compassionate and caring and i am not sure how to encourage him to just push forward. I spoke with his teacher this morning and she said that he is a dreamer and she tells him to wake up during class. she says he procrastrinates. so i told her that he is very sensitive and words have quite an effect on him and she said that she noticed it. What to do from here? my instinct is to protect him but i want to be able to teach him that people will always be different and teach him skills how to deal with it ..i just dont know how... please give me somepractical tips! thank you in advance. one last thing , how do i encourage him to focus in class and not daydream?

If he has been going to this school and this class happily through this year up until now, surely something upsetting must have happened at school. If the new teacher is unskilled enough to be harsh this could well be the problem. If the other teacher had no problems with him and had no concerns about his behaviour in class, maybe it's the new one who is unrealistic --- discuss this with the headmaster. Maybwe he an recommend a child psychologist they have worked with before, who can assess him, and give more detailed advice, which really should be based on the results of a proper direct assessment of the child. We don't know whether he has a problem in reality other than this particular teacher's perceptions

3
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/22

My girl went to grade 1 last year, I was more in tears than she, because the whole town told me what a witch the new teacher will be, I was so scared for my girl' s sake, only to find that she is strick but very professional, and they had a very strong bond, when my girl went to grade 2, she also did not do well with the new teacher, so I also blamed the teacher, I realised that my girl did not want to let go of the previous teacher and that she struggled to let go and open herself to the new teacher. Grade 1 teachers or their first real teacher have a very big inpact on our little ones, In order for my girl to open up to the new teacher I had to explain that it was ok to have and love more than one, maybe your little one also feel sad for the first teacher, just give him the love and excitement after school, to make up for his bad day in school, play the high amnd low of his day, and figure out that way where to start, and help him handle his low - you are a mother - we can accomplish more than any teacher or any other person- that is why we deserve to be called Mother- I just love it....Good luck, and give him a big hug from me ..

Posted by: Kayla | 2009/05/21

I mean speak to other parents.

Reply to Kayla
Posted by: Kayla | 2009/05/21

Ag shame I was the exact same. A teacher would just look at me funny and I' d start crying. Try explaining to your son that his teacher is just helping him and she' s not being mean to him. The teacher should also understand that ' big school'  is a big adjustment for kids and of course they may day dream but she should try make the lessons more fun. Speak to some of the other teachers and ask if they' ve had any problems?

Reply to Kayla