Posted by: Kristen | 2011-02-25

Dear Dr Bets hope you are well and thanks alot for all your valuable advice.

I am 3 months pregnant and have been going to the gyne for the pass 2 months and these payments (Very expensive) has come off my savings. Medical aid was supposed to start paying for these visits from month 3 but it is gp visits not gynae visit. Sorry for the long story just wanted to know, if its okay to see a GP and if so when do I need to go back to the gynae maybe last 2 months of pregnancy.

Your GP should be more than capable to monitor you throughout your pregnancy. You can consult the gynaecologist from week 36 if it is your first child. If not, rather consult your gynaecologist from week 32. You will only need ultrasound at week 16 (to check for abnormalities and to confirm the age of the fetus), 24 and 32, respectively. It is not necessary to have weekly ultrasounds done. Consult your doctor about the costs involved, as there are many procedures and tests which the medical aid might not cover.