Posted by: Ang | 2009-06-09

GP' s diagnosis for tiredness... depression??

Hi There,
I had a few blood test done because I feel tired all the time. I then went to the Medicross dr to give me my diagnosis (Iron, Cholesterol, Sugar) etc. He then said he would not have requested those blood tests, he would rather have done a blood count (i did not know I can go on my own, but anyway...) Then he started asking me about my stress level and so on, then he said it sounds like depression! But how can I be depressed if he did not any further tests, I always finish what I start even if Im tired (I' ve got a 2yr old that does not sleep through) and Im a hard worker, I help my husband with his business so yes I put in the extra time. I never had thoughts about taking my own life either. The doctor said my " soul is tired'  and another word for it is Depression. He gave me Cipralex 10mg to drink. My husband' s e-wife has depression, so I immediately broke out in tears. I did not want to have the same disease and my worse fear since I worked for LIbery life, was to be diagnosed with depression! So obviously when I started crying, he said I must let it out, its normal. I was crying because I was upset. In 10min he could tell im depressed. felt like such a fool. Please let me know what you think. My husband and my mom said I must no take those tablets as they have never noticed anything wrong with me. Yes Im tired due to lack of sleep and hard work, but Im not unhappy.

Hallo Ang
Do this depression questionnaire online - this will give you an idea if you really have signs of depression or not.
If you don't have depression, don't take the Cipramil
You may be tired due to the broken sleep - try and see if someone in the family won't take baby off your hands for one night in a week so that you can catch up a bit. Also get a good multivit and Magnesium supplement and see if you can get at least 30 min exercise per day ( even walking around the block with baby)
Let your doctor check your thyroid hormone, it is anyway good that you checked your iron, cholesterol and sugar levels.