Question
Posted by: Andile Qwemeshe | 2011/03/23

GP or Gynae

Hi. My girlfriend is 3 months pregnant. She is +- 700 km away from me. When we made a booking to see a gynae it was 3 months ahead.

I want to know when a woman is pregnant, which doctor to see a GP or Gyane? and why?

Of course I am a man and my logic says we should see a GP and if there is anything out of ordinary the GP will refer us to the Gynae. Am I wrong?

Most women are delivered by gynaes, not GPs and it would therefore be better for the same doctor to manage the whole pregnancy. The first visit and pregnancy confirmation can certainly be with a GP.

3

Posted by: Me | 2011/03/23

I had both my pregnancies with a GP. We lived in a small town so it was our only choice. Both births perfect and 10 yrs later, chilren are perfect. If she can see a gynae (if you live close to one), then that would be first choice then.

Reply to Me
Posted by: PUrple | 2011/03/23

GP''s don''t deal with pregnancy, only a midwife or a gynae.

When you are pregnant, gynae''s give you appointments far quicker than for check ups - which you usually book 3 months to a year in advance.

Reply to PUrple