Question
Posted by: Kate | 2012/10/31

Gov.za

Hi CS

I would like to join the gravy train and have applied so many times but with no luck! Why can I not get into government???
Are they only employing by colour right now? Do I change my name? Surname? what do I do! I do not even get an interview!

I am currently studying Public Admin, first year and have 6 years working experience yet I cannot even get an interview for an entry position. Most people have the same experrience applying for gov vacancies but all black people I work with all get interviews and get the jobs. Seriously, they cannot even work properly here but they get those jobs, even without the necessary qualifications!

This is so frustrating, this is my second year of trying.
I really need to get in and I really think I can make good change in the administration of this country.

I feel like giving right now as I''ve tried so long, I do not even get a rejection letter, nothing!

I'm not sure that its entirely respectable to be wanting to join the gravy train ; but its very respectable indeed to want to get a good job. But you seem specific that you want a job, not even in the civil service ( though its very rarely civil and rarely provides a reliable service ) - you say you want to get into Government !
Colour has indeed become accepted in such circles as influencing interviews and job offers. But it also appears that prominent membership of a particular political party, and the support of prominent political figures, counts for a good deal, so colour / race alone is far from guaranteeing anyone a job. I'm yet to be convinced that knowledge, skills, and an ability and willingness to actually do what the job requires is actually needed these days.
Maybe seek to make a reputation and success in other areas of work, and look for the sort of job that most attracts you, later ?
Also, discuss this with your teachers - they are irresponsible and unprofessional if they accept anyone into paying for training in Public Administration unless they are confident that any and all of their graduates can actually get a decent job in that field.
From your later remarks, you seem to be highly unrealistic in assuming that the sort of job challenge you look for would automatically be part of a government job, while it could be available in many other areas of work, including NGOs

10
Posted by: DAniel | 2012/11/01

Thnaks Kate - will email you shortly

Reply to DAniel
Posted by: Kate | 2012/11/01

Thanks for your replies guys!
I dont know what to do but I cannot start 2013 on the same note.
Daniel my email is 48717711 at mylife dot unisa dot ac dot za

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Lee | 2012/10/31

I have worked for the Government before. PLEASE do not think you are going to be challenged, excited, busy, make a difference....
If you show initiative you are told not to " swim upstream" .
You will sit and do absolutely nothing there, The one hand does not know what the other is doing. (Dept of Healt)
So yes, nice gravy but thats it

Reply to Lee
Posted by: Daniel | 2012/10/31

Kate, hope i am not been foward, but if it is ok with you we could perhaps chat of this forum if you want to and if you have personal email.

Reply to Daniel
Posted by: Daniel | 2012/10/31

Kate, they say the grass is greener on the other side untill you get there. Its sounds like you have everyting, you rather be bored than having someone shout and scream at you.
I do work for a goverment organistaion - therefore i cannot disaclose much here.

Reply to Daniel
Posted by: Kate | 2012/10/31

I would actually be starting off with less than I currently do but I really dont mind. I just feel like I am wasting my time over here, I''m bored out of my mind. I have security, benefits, flexible times, a good boss, an easy environment but I''m not challenged. I''m spoilt over here, can plan my day and work as I please. Leave is no issue etc etc but I feel so unhappy as I need to work and feel like I flippen have a purpose and not getting paid to count my fingers.

Then on the other hand I listen to other people and they always complaining about their job, bosses, pay etc etc and I think, maybe I should just stay and bear through it all.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Daniel | 2012/10/31

Hi Kate
Thank you for your reply. Kate, since you are in a comfort zone and do not have a degree, do you think joining a goverment department now is a good idea? I am sure your salry wont be much more than you are currently getting. Do you want to join because of the security?

Reply to Daniel
Posted by: Kate | 2012/10/31

Hi Daniel

I''m 29, have debtors, medical claims, admin, finance and call centre experiene. Right now I''m in a comfort zone and cannot progress any further as I do not have a degree.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Daniel | 2012/10/31

I can realte to what to are saying - trying to find a job these days is very difficult. Dont give up.
If i may ask, do you just have admin experience and how old are you?

Reply to Daniel