Question
Posted by: tena | 2009/07/16

Q.

Government Employees Pension Fund claim after divorce

Here is the tollfree contact no of GEPF in Pretoria. Contact them at 0800117669.

Web address gepf dot gov dot za

According to info I have. When the act or law came into working regarding the claim of the pension benefits of the spouse when a person is divorce. You can not claim from the GEPF. Still looking for that information. where i saw it. Will post as soon I found the info

READER' S REPLY
Subject: RE: ACT 29 of 1979 in relation to GEPF
Posted by: Tena | 16/7/2009
Newsletter for active members of the Government Employees Pension Fund Issue 20 June 2008

Last year an amendment to the Pension Funds Act stipulated that
when a couple divorces, the nonmember spouse may claim his or her share of the pension interest immediately upon divorce and not only when the member spouse exits
the pension fund. However, this does not apply to
members of the GEPF. The Pension Funds Act of
1956 does not apply to the GEPF and therefore the aforementioned amendments to the Pension Funds
Act will not impact on GEPF members.
If any of our members are getting divorced, the possible division of the pension interest will be governed by the Government Employees Pension Law, 1996, and the Divorce Act of 1979, which provides that any portion of the pension interest
awarded to the non-member spouse “  shall be paid by that fund to that other party when any pension benefits accrue in respect of that member”  . This means that a non-member
spouse will only receive his/her share of the pension interest when the contributing member’  s pension benefit accrues, thus when he/she exits the pension fund..
IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTE:
The GEPF is bound by the Divorce Act of 1979. It is not bound by, nor authorised by the Pension Funds Amendment Act of 2007, to pay benefits awarded to the non-member spouse in a divorce order, before the date on which the pension benefit accrues to the member in terms of the GEP Law and its Rules.
l If you are divorced, submit the decree of divorce and settlement agreement. If the agreement states that an amount
is payable to your ex-spouse we also need a bank form and a certified copy of your ex-spouse’  s ID. A divorce form
Z102 must also be submitted

OBTAIN THIS INFO FROM GEFP WEBSITE. IT IS IN OUR NEWS LETTERS THAT ARE SEND TO THE MEMBERS OF THE PENSION FUND.

HOPE THIS WILL HELP.

ONE OF THE REGULAR READERS OF THIS FORUM.

POST THIS INFO HOPE IT WILL HELP

6
user comments

C.

Posted by: Nokuthula | 2013/11/24

How long does a GEPF claim takes afte the employer has submitted all the necessary documents

Reply to Nokuthula
Posted by: Eunice Hlahla | 2013/09/04

I want to know how far is the process? becases the tollfree number always busy. My Ref: Hl08/98207083

Reply to Eunice Hlahla
Posted by: XpressionAssist | 2013/08/07

The "clean-break" principle was added to the Pension Funds Act on 13 September 2007. This means that a non member spouse can claim their share of the benefit from the Pension Fund before the member resigns, retires or dies. This however was not applicable to the GEP Law and former spouses of a member had to wait until the member retired, resigned or died. On 14 December 2011 the The GEP Law Amendment Act 2011 amended the law to provide for the implementation of the “clean-break” principle. This means that former spouses of members contributing to the GEPF can now claim their share of the fund as stipulated in their divorce order and don’t have to wait until retirement, resignation or death. In order to claim your share of the Fund, your Divorce Order/Settlement MUST state that you do have a claim and the following should be specifically stipulated: • The percentage that you are entitled to claim • The name of the Fund (GEPF) The non member has a choice between: • Payment to be made to the non-member spouse's own account • Payment to be transferred to an approved external fund Go to www dot xpression dot co dot za for more information

Reply to XpressionAssist
Posted by: woman | 2013/08/05

you have a call cente which is very unfriendly, making empty promises. how long does it take to send a choice form for a person to complete? It is very frustating but remember you are not doing me a favour it is my right. This is womens month but the change is not seen as far as treating women fairly is concerned. Be fair, we also have feelings and resposibilities to look and take care of

Reply to woman
Posted by: joyce | 2013/08/05

I was the first wife, divorced no payment was made to me, now the second wife is on what will happen when it is time for her payment to be made. They system is very unfair to women.

Reply to joyce
Posted by: SADSA | 2009/07/16

Thanks Tena for your contribution.
Nadia | SADSA

Reply to SADSA

Want to comment?