Question
Posted by: jason | 2008/08/13

gouty

hi doc
im a 22 year old male ,my docter recenlty diagnosed me with acute gout .is there any way i can prevent any more attacks?
can exeercise prevent gout attacks?

Dear jason
No, exercise won't prevent gout attacks.
Gout occurs when uric acid crystals form in the joint space and cause inflammation. Uric acid is formed during protein metabolism and is normally excreted in the urine. People with gout may have a genetic defect in the kidneys, reducing their ability to excrete uric acid.
Gout can be prevented by taking allopurinol tablets that helps with getting rid of the uric acid through the kidneys and by eating a lower protein diet.