Question
Posted by: LYNN EARLY | 2011-01-14

Gout diet

I am looking for a simple eating plan for gout

Dear Lynn
I do not have a specific eating plan for gout on this Website, but if you click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and do a Search for 'NEW DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOUT' you should be able to access an article I wrote on this subject last year. If you suffer from gouty osteo-arthritis then you actually need to eat a diet that is low in compounds called 'purines'. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods also exacerbate gout. The gout may respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3.

2
Posted by: Mphoza | 2011-01-18

Hi Doc!
Please help me to find the right diet for me, ive a low blood pressure ive tried all sorts of diets the problems is that i become dizzy as i dont eat enough but im not sure how much is enough. i really need measures and the right food to eat. Please help!!!!

Reply to Mphoza
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-01-14

Dear Lynn