Question
Posted by: Allie | 2010-10-05

Gout Diet

Hi, I have googled everything, but can''t find any site that actually has a few meal/menu ideas on gout sufferers - My husband has it quite severely and I never know what to cook anymore, because it seems like he shouldn''t eat anything?! Please help with some ideas on a diet - I know he''s suppose to go to a dietician, but he really hasn''t got the time...I''ll try to convince him though, as I probably need to go with him to find out what he can and cannot eat...thank you!!!

Dear Allie
Yes, it is an excellent idea to arrange for your husband to see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will help you to work out a diet that your husband can eat without making his gout worse. I trust that he is also receiving the necessary medication? If not, ask your gp to prescribe anti-gout medication. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of the chemical, uric acid, in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods also exacerbate gout and cholesterol. Gout may also respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3.
Holding thumbs for you and hubby.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-10-05

Dear Allie
Holding thumbs for you and hubby.