Posted by: FEMALE | 2009-03-24

Hi, please can i have a diet menu recommending low purine foods to eat, to help ease gout for my gran-80yrs old. She visits the doctor on a monthly basis, she takes medication as well. I know all the foods o avoid, BUT not the ones to eat especially for dinner, a proper meal for the day.
Please help asap

Dear Female
I do not have an example of a low-purine diet on this Website, but if you have a list of foods that should be avoided, then you can compile meals from all the remaining foods (e.g. fruit, vegetables, milk and dairy, eggs, grains, cereals and fats and oils). For example: breakfast could consist of fruit juice or boiled or fresh fruit, plus porridge with milk or yoghurt and toast with jam and a hot beverage. If you find it problematic to compile menus that avoid purines then take your dear Gran to see a dietitian who will assist you with food choices for her while taking her gout and other factors such as problems with chewing into account (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area).