Question
Posted by: suri | 2011/01/19

Gout &  Diet

I have this gout condition and cannot each most foods, what are my options.

Dear Suri
I wrote an article on 'NEW DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOUT' which you should be able to access by clicking on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and doing a Search with the title of the article. If you suffer from gouty osteo-arthritis then you actually need to eat a diet that is low in compounds called 'purines'. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods, as well as high intakes of foods that contain fructose (fruit juice and fruits) also exacerbate gout. The gout may respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3.

1

Dear Suri