Question
Posted by: Deon | 2011/08/02

Gout

I suffer from gout. A month ago I went to a dietician and follow what she has described for me to eat. Once a week would eat something that is " cheating" . Last Sunday I had potatoes with brown onioun soup on top. Monday Morning I could hardly walk. I may have potatoes but not soup. It feels like there is no help for someone with gout.

Dear Deon
If you suffer so severely from gout then it is important for you to follow your dietitian's guidelines very strictly because you have experienced what can happen when you switch back to eating foods that trigger a gout attack. I trust that you have also had a medical examination and that your doctor has prescribed the necessary antigout medications? if not, please do see a dr for treatment. click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and do a Search for 'NEW DIETARY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOUT' you should be able to access an article I wrote on this subject last year. Generally speaking anyone with gout needs to avoid a buildup of uric acid in the body. Excessive uric acid buildup is caused by a disorder in the metabolism of so-called "purines", which are compounds that occur in high quantities in red meat, organ meats (brains, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads), anchovies, meat extracts, broth, bouillon, and gravies made from meat drippings, sardines, herrings, mackerel, mussels, partridge, fish roes, baker's and brewer's yeast taken as supplements. Beans, pulses, spinach, asparagus and mushrooms have a moderate purine content and can be eaten in moderate quantities. Other vegetables and fruits have a negligible purine content and can be eaten freely. Alcohol and rich, fatty foods also exacerbate gout. The gout may respond to an increase in the intake of omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon oil capsules are a good source of omega-3.

1

Dear Deon