Question
Posted by: Pieter | 2010/03/11

Gout

I am a gout suffer and used to get 1 severe attack a year while I was on 100mg puricos. This year I am getting severe gout attacks regulary and the doctor said I must increase the dosage to 300mg. I did that and the severe attacks stopped. Only problem is that I have now permanent gout, it is not bothering me but I know it is there. I can walk with no problem even running but I can''t jump, to much pressure. I know that if you increase your dosage of puricos that you can cause an attack. Is this maybe because my body is still not use to the higher dosage or because the original crystal was never desolved?

I feels to me that the attack never stopped, it just sits there and idle. Is there something I can take to maybe " clear"  the joints of the crystals?

Another question, when I have a gout attack should I stop or reduce the dosage of the puricos? I normally take colchicines when I get a gout attack.

PS. I do try to follow a strict gout friendly diet.

Hallo Pieter
Puricos is a preventative medication that prevent urate levels from increasing, so it is good that you are now on the 300 mg per day (which is the normal adult dose) It will gradually lower your uric acid level in the blood and then also reduce the uric acid crystals in the joints. Your doctor can also give you something to increase uric acid excretion from the kidneys (like Probenecid) but do drink at least 10 glasses of water a day and 10 ml of Citrosoda twice a day when on Probenecid to prevent urate kidney stones. For the inflammation in the joint you can use anti-inflammatory medication. If you get a gout attack, DONT stop your puricos, just take anti-inflammatory medication like Voltaren and increase your water intake.
See http://clinical-research-trials.co.za/gout/gout_treatment.htm

7
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/01/22

I am also treated with colchine and puricos. I have unbelievale pain in my lower back and legs. As well as headaches. So tired, nauses . I am definatly feeling sick. Could it been the side effects?

Posted by: Johan | 2015/12/10

Please help,Puricos does not agree with me,is there anything else I may take to prevent attacks.I have had gout for 30 years and have large trophi on my elbow,knuckles and toe.I cannot live with the side effects of Puricos,so only treat gout when I have an attack with,Calcazine and Cataflam.Desperately uncomfortable.What is the correct diet to follow.I eat pies,drink cool drinks and enjoy meat.

Reply to Johan
Posted by: Andrew | 2015/10/18

Does pork consumption aggravates gout attack

Reply to Andrew
Posted by: Miriam | 2015/08/24

Hi I have gout,was diagnosed 3yrs ago.I'm not on any medication. When the gout flares up,I use colchicine.I have been told about Puricos.Can you buy it over the counter or do you need a script.Please advise me,Thanks so much

Reply to Miriam
Posted by: Bernard | 2015/06/23

Please help me with the gout diet.

Reply to Bernard
Posted by: John | 2010/03/11

Pieter,
I had bad gout in 1973/1974. Nothing realy hekps.
Drink lots of water, 5 Lt +, to wash out the crystals. I worked at a place where we used " de-ionized water" . It is clean with no to very little minerals in it. (or Distilled water)
Note: this is my remedy and it works for me. Use it for short times only, as it wash all minerals.
I had gout in my toes, heel, knee, elbow, eyes, ears. Not at the same time.
I am on 1 pericos 300mg/day. Last year I had an attack and the Dr gave me colchicine.
2 and then every 2hours till I vomit, then stop.
Works. I can eat anything, tamatoes with no gout.
I am 60 so there is hope.
I am also diabetes and high cholesterol. I do not feel sick! with lots of meds.

Reply to John
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/03/11

Hallo Pieter

Reply to cyberdoc