Posted by: Rob | 2008-10-31

I suffer from gout, sometimes very painful attacks in the ankle and knees. This interferes with my gym routine and i can no longer jog. Is there a peventative medication that i can take to prevent the build up of acid. I have also heard my hypertention medication (prexum plus) can cause gout, is there any truth in this. I am relatively fit and do not eat excesive amounts of red meat, preferring chicken.

Dear Rob

Thank you for visiting

There is a specific regime to treat gout effectively. Unfortunately, you will have to consult a doctor, in order for him/her to assess your uric acid levels and start acute, as well as chronic treatment.

Prexum plus contains a diuretic that will worsen your gout.

There is a multitude of foods that will also worsen your gout, i.e. from nuts, wine, cheese etc. Your doctor will be able to provide you with a diet sheet.

Kind regards

Posted by: mel | 2009-03-18

Every website or article i have come across only tells you about the foods to avoid, and some contradict the other.
Are there certain FOODS / MEALS (for Dinner) that my gran can have, because all she eats is breads, cheese, biscuits.
A list of veggies will help, or any other foods to eat so she can gain her strength back.
Please help-

Reply to mel
Posted by: William | 2009-02-05

I am suffering from gout.I therefore need an advise on what to eat and an healthy weekly diet plan to reduce the likelihood of gout.

Reply to William
Posted by: Jenny | 2008-11-02

Hi Rob.
My husband also suffers from gout (hand and foot) as a result from a motor bike accident 14 years ago. His medication includes Cataflam and Colchicine. (not sure about spelling)

Reply to Jenny