Question
Posted by: L | 2012/03/20

Gore Dreams

Im a 22 year old and have been having " gore dreams"  for a couple of years. The dreams typically depict violent scenes which i am no part of and just observe. Usually I dont see the acts being commited, i only see the aftermath eg. i will see a dismembered body in the street, but not how it came to be there. The dreams really upset me, especially when i had them in the beginning. By now i''ve learnt some kind of conditioned response to " sensor"  my dreams and block out the scenes i know will upset me, but this doesn''t always work. After having these dreams i find it difficult to fall asleep again because im afraid of having another one. Im not a violent person at all, in fact, i hate violence and can''t watch movies that show a lot of gore. I think there''s a weak relationship between the dreams and the way i move around a lot. I dont have a permanent residence at the moment and move between my varsity hostile, my boyfriend''s house and my parents'' house constantly. I sometimes get the dreams the first night i sleep in a new environment. What particularly upsets me is the way the gore dreams soemtimes play out. Seeing body parts is one thing, but sometimes the bodies are sort of alive still. I''d walk past a head whose eyes follow me, or i''d look out the window and see a dismembered body swinging on a swing outside. It makes me feel like a creep to be honest. i would never think about these things while im awake. I know that cropped up anger can find an outlet in violent dreams, but i dont think this is the same, since i only observe and have no part in it. Even in dreams where i get attacked i usually try not to hurt anything, and cringe when i have to. Please help me!

It sounds almost as though the dreams are not about any personal interest in violence and gore, but actually about your NON-violence and abhorrence of gore. More people than might think they could, can actually shape their dreams, either by thinking through in detail the sort of happier ending they'd prefer, or even when they come to waking immediately after a bad dream, they deliberately choose not to flee from it, but to deliberately construct a different ending - you manage to put the dismembered body back together again, and the person recovers.

1