Posted by: Nick | 2008-11-12

Good practice or malpractice?

Hi! I had to visit a urologist recently... I'  m a rugby player. Somebody stepped on my genitals when a scrum collapsed and now my penis goes skew when erect. When I visited my urologist, he asked me to make my penis hard while he stood there, for him to examine. Was this absolutely necessary? Is this correct practice?

Expert ImageTeen expert

If your injury is only evident when the penis is erect then it would probably be the only way for the urologist to assess the damage and what potentially could be done about it.

If you have concerns about this then it is your right to ask the doctor if the examination was done correctly, or alternatively seek a second opinion with another urologist and discuss how they would assess the injury.