Question
Posted by: Nick | 2008-11-12

Good practice or malpractice?

Hi doctor! I had to visit a urologist recently... I' m 27 years old and I' m a rugby player. Somebody stepped on my genitals when a scrum collapsed and now my penis goes skew when erect. When I visited my urologist, he asked me to make my penis hard while he stood there, for him to examine. Was this absolutely necessary? Is this correct practice?

Dear Nick
It must have been very uncomfortable, but yes, "skewness" or Peyronie's disease need examination of the erect penis. He should have explained to you why he needs this though! (He needs to read Bedside Manners 1.0 again :-)
See http://www.everettclinic.com/kbase/topic/special/tv7745spec/sec1.htm
They may inject a stimulant at the base of the penis to cause erection in some cases, he probably wanted to spare you this!
Some researchers believe Peyronie's disease develops following a trauma that causes bleeding inside the penis.
The good news is that it only rarely affects sexual performance and won't affect fertility at all. It may even get better with time.