Question
Posted by: Ang | 2008/08/20

Good or Bad?

My colleague and I are on a “ eat all day diet” . Basically we have special K for breakfast and lunch with fat free milk. Then we snack all day on raw fruit and veg –  more specifically we eat tomatoes, carrots, apples, pears, and oranges, red green and yellow peppers. Then for supper we have a normal meal (for instance last night I had rice and chicken stir-fry). Do you think this is a good diet? So far today I’ ve already had my special K breakfast, 3 carrots, one red pepper, two tomatoes and its now lunch time in an hour.
Would you suggest changing anything? Our goal is to eat low GI low fat foods. The reason we are still eating dinner is that it’ s rather difficult and very antisocial when you have children to suddenly stop eating diner or eat something different than the rest of the family!
Thx

Dear Ang
I think your colleague posed a similar question the other day. I seem to remember saying to her that I thought you would certainly lose weight with your proposed diet. The only thing I would change, is to add 2 cups of fat-free yoghurt or milk or cottage cheese to your intake to ensure that you obtain sufficient calcium for your needs (i.e. 1000 mg per day). It is a good idea to eat a low-fat, low-GI diet and to have at least one 'normal meal' a day - for example if you eat meat or fish at this meal you will prevent iron, zinc and vit B12 deficiencies. The fish will also provide you with some omega-3 fatty acids. So by all means have a normal evening meal.
Good luck with the diet