Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-11

Good Friend

I' m not sure if I am being a good friend or a bad one. I am concerned about my friend and I dont know how to approach or if I should approach her. She is 31 years old and has a wonderful husband, but she has let herself go, she is gaining weight and she is not dressing appropriately. The thing is she eats just about anything in sight. I know I sound horrible but she is young and throwing her life away. She has just been diagnosed with a underactive thryoid and she uses this as a constant excuse for her weight gain, I know that its one of the factors but not the entire reason. How do I approach this, I love her more than anything and wouldnt want her to be hurt. I know how it feels to be over weight because 4 years ago I lost 20kg and still maintaining my weight. I have suggested the gym, walks on the beach but she is just not interested. How do I help her help herself?

I hope that the diagnosis of underactive thyroid has been properly made, with the right blood and other tests, because sometimes its just a sloppy diagnosis made as an excuse to explain weight gain and avoid talking about diet and exercise. And if she DOEs have an underactive thyroid, then she should be receiving thyroid hormone tablets, so she'd lose any excuse for continued weight gain. Would i t help if you talked calmly and frankly to her about YOUR experience, and the problem YOU had, and how you decided to deal with it. Can't she be persuaded to join you at the gym, or for walks ?

Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-12

Fatty &  Lulu, it wasnt easy losing the weight and there was no quick fix. I changed my eating habits (ate 6 meals a day), and still enjoyed all my favourite junk. Here' s the hard part I joined the gym and spent 2 hours a day 7 days a week there, even the people working there asked me if I had a place to live because I was always there. 6 weeks later I reached my goal weight. I went from 84kg' s to 64kg' s, and went from wearing size 38/40 to size 34. I still religiously go to the gym but now I work on maintaining my body fat %. Good Luck, if you set your mind to it you can do anything.

Posted by: fatty | 2008-11-11

me too girl, come give it up.....

Reply to fatty
Posted by: Lulu | 2008-11-11

maybe you can help me - how did you loose that weight? i can surely do with some guidance?

Reply to Lulu